The City's Building Division is responsible for the enforcement of codes, laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to commercial and residential building constructions and remodeling within the city.
Services & Regulations
The Building Division provides services necessary to insure that construction within the city is performed in a safe and lawful manner by regulating:
- ADA Law
- Demolition of Structures
- Energy Conservation
- Life & Safety
- Permit Activities
- Seismic Safety
- Uniform Construction Codes
- Cal Green Building Code
California Law States: Any work performed valued at $500 or more (including labor and materials) must be completed by a California State Licensed Contractor.
Enforcement is accomplished by:
- Application Review
- Plan Check Services
- Processing Building permits
- Performing Inspections
- Responding to Complaints
- Make sure they are licensed by the Contractor's State License Board. Law states that work performed in California that is valued at $500 or more must be completed by a State Licensed Contractor. Report unlicensed activity
- Verify their State Contractor's License Number and current status on-line or by calling 1-800-321-CSLB (2752).
- Get at least 3 bids and check their references. How to find the right contractor.
- Take your time before you make a decision about hiring a contractor. Be advised that unlicensed individuals pose a risk to you and the family's financial security. In California, it is a misdemeanor to engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor without a license issued by the California State License Board. 2014, California Contractors License Law and Reference Book
Information for Contractors!
- Know the Law - In the State of California, it is illegal for $500 or more (including labor and materials) without a valid license issued by the California State License Board. This includes work done to construct or alter any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure. 2014, California Contractors License Law and Reference Book
- Don't take the risk! The CSLB has established Statewide Investigative Fraud Teams (SWIFT) that conduct undercover sting operations and target inspections to curtail illegal and unlicensed contracting activities. Subsequent violations increase criminal penalties and fines.
- Interested in becoming a licensed contractor? Click here to see the CSLB Blue Print for becoming a California Licensed Contractor.
- Building your career as a licensed contractor. Download brochure
- Contractor Tips for Advertising
- Review the current CSLB Newsletter
- CalGreen's diversion requirements: