Façade Improvement Program
Is your business located within the Downtown Specific Plan? Have you been interested in making improvements to the façade of your business? The Riverbank City Council recently approved the allocation of $210,000 in American Rescue Plan Act Funds towards a facade improvement program to assist you in making these improvements. Each business is eligible for up to $15,000 in assistance in matching funds. Call (209) 863-7122 for more information.
The Riverbank Façade Improvement Program (FIP) is a reimbursement grant program for eligible Commercial, Office, or Retail businesses for the improvement of existing buildings in the Riverbank Downtown Specific Plan designated area. The program was created to encourage private investment by enhancing the physical “curb appeal” and increase economic vitality within the Downtown Specific Plan Area in Riverbank. The program encourages retention of existing businesses, attract new businesses, and increase property values. The long-term objective goal of the program is to permanently improve the appearance of Riverbank’s Downtown.
The program provides a matching grant of dollar for dollar of the façade improvement costs to the business and/or owner up to a maximum of $15,000. This is a matching grant where businesses must also include their own funding for improvements.
Downtown Specific Plan Map
The Downtown Specific Plan Area is defined as follows:
Callender Road to the West, Fourth Street to the East, Atchison Road (Highway 108) to the North, and Patterson Road to the South. Properties fronting Atchison Road West of Seventh Street are also eligible. If your business falls within this area, you may be eligible for this program!
Projects Eligible for Grants
Design Standards and Review
Design review is required for exterior alterations and must be in conformity with the Downtown Specific Plan Architectural Guidelines. These Guidelines can be located in Section 2.3.1 of the Specific Plan starting on Page 75 at Final Downtown Specific Plan - May 2015.
Pre-Application Concept Meeting Required
Applicants will meet with the Program Administrator, representatives from Planning & Building Divisions to review the project & building permit process and to answer any questions that a business may have. The Program Administrator will review the application process with the business owner, discuss the scope of work, determine a timeline, and review the remaining process for the grant.
Where to Start
- Review Program Guidelines available by CLICKING HERE. For Guidelines in Spanish, please CLICK HERE.
- Review the Downtown Specific Plan Architectural Guidelines starting in Section 2.3.1 on page 75. A copy of the Specific Plan is available HERE.
- Develop your initial ideas of your proposed facade improvements that can be presented to City Staff at a Pre-Application meeting.
- Contact the Administration Office at (209) 863-7122 to arrange a pre-application concept meeting. No drawings or plans are required, but applicant must be able to describe the plan in detail.
- Upon tentative approval of the project, the Program Administrator will hold funds within the program budget. No commitment of grant funds will occur until the Planning Division has determined that the proposed project will meet codes and design standards and Program Administrator notifies applicant with Commitment Letter. You will be provided an official application at this time to be completed and submitted with appropriate requests for permits, cost estimates, and if necessary, owner approval of the project.
- Once the application has been approved, a Letter of Commitment will be sent to the applicant from the Program Administrator. The letter will specify the amount of the estimated grant funds to be set aside and a time frame in which the work must be completed to receive a grant.