- City Hall
- Development Services
- Public Works
- Water Division
- Turf Replacement Program
Turf Replacement Program
Water Saving Resources
Links to useful water-related resources offered by the State of California:
- How to Save Water Around the House
- How to Save Water Around the Yard
- Water Use it Wisely - 100+ Water Saving Tips
- What's Your Water Footprint? @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
City of Riverbank water customers may be eligible for a $2 per square foot rebate for up to 1,000 sq. ft. when they convert their existing grass area with any qualifying artificial turf products or drought tolerant landscape products. The rebate amount may not exceed $2,000 per residential City of Riverbank water account.
This program is available starting July 1, 2022. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Outdoor landscaping is the single largest use of water in a typical California home or business. In most yards, grass consumes the most water, therefore reducing or eliminating how much grass you have can significantly reduce your water use.
How to Apply:
- Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- Telephone (to be mailed or e-mailed) @ (209) 863-7122 or
- Click Here to Download Application
- Mail or drop off in person the following:
- Completed application,
- Photos of the current landscape,
- A list of proposed drought-tolerant plants, and
- A sketch of the proposed conversion
City of Riverbank
Attention: Turf Replacement Program
6707 Third Street, Suite A
Riverbank, CA 95367
3. A City of Riverbank representative will contact you to schedule a brief appointment to verify your existing landscape.
DO NOT BEGIN YOUR CONVERSION UNTIL AFTER
PRE-INSPECTION and CITY APPROVAL
- City of Riverbank customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Riverbank.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Area to be converted must have grass or traditional sprinklers intact at the Pre-Inspection appointment in order to qualify for the rebate.
- Program applies to turf replaced between 7/1/22 thru 6/30/23.
- A pre-inspection will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- After approval of pre-inspection, you will have 60 days to complete the conversion of your existing landscaping, which will be indicated in the Notice to Proceed Letter.
- Once completed, contact the City of Riverbank to schedule the post-inspection.
- Itemized dated sales receipts for the products used in the conversion are required at the post-inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
- Turf replacement must be drought tolerant and permeable (allow water to penetrate into the ground).
- Product used must be approved by the City prior to installation.
- Applicant must provide a simple sketch of the proposed landscape, as well as photos of the existing landscape as part of the initial application.
- When replacing turf, the irrigation system must be capped, eliminated, or converted to drip.
- Turf replacement must be maintained and kept in healthy condition for a minimum of 5 years.
- Turf replacement must be installed within the Riverbank City service area and at the address listed on the application.
- Applicants must provide a list of proposed drought-tolerant plants with the application. For a list of preferred plants, please click here for the “Top 10 California Friendly Native Plants”. DO NOT BEGIN YOUR CONVERSION UNTIL AFTER PRE-INSPECTION and CITY APPROVAL Program Guidelines DO NOT BEGIN YOUR CONVERSION UNTIL AFTER PRE-INSPECTION and CITY APPROVAL Program Guidelines
- For additional suggestions on drought tolerant plants, visit the Water Use Classification of Landscape Species website, accessible by clicking on this link.
- If only part of the lawn is converted, the new planting area must be on a separate valve.
- Existing artificial turf, turf installation costs, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify. Reimbursement is for products used in the conversion. Labor cost does not qualify.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the cost of the products used in the conversion. Dated, itemized sales receipts are required at the post-inspection.
- Rebates are limited to $2,000 per residential utility billing account per fiscal year (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023). Reimbursements are made on a square footage basis at $2.00 per square foot for up to 1,000 square feet.
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification is required.
- Original itemized, dated sales receipt for the products used in the conversion area is required at the post-inspection
- Incomplete, incorrect or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice.