Encroachment Permit FAQ's

What is the purpose of an Encroachment Permit?

The purpose of an Encroachment Permit is to enable the City to monitor work or activities performed within City right-of-way by homeowners, private developers, contractors, utility companies, and local governmental agencies to ensure public safety.  

Issuing the permit assures that work or activities performed in the encroachment area will be done in accordance with the City of Riverbank Standard Conditions, in conjunction with the requirements of the City of Riverbank Municipal Code and to the project's Conditions of Approval or Requirements.

When is an Encroachment Permit required?

An Encroachment Permit is required for all construction work and proposed activities that encroach within, under, or over the City road right-of-way.  Some examples of work requiring an Encroachment Permit may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Construction Projects (residential, commercial, industrial)
  • Excavation
  • Installation of curb and gutters
  • Installation of driveways
  • Installation of sidewalks
  • Installation or irrigation/drainage
  • Monitoring well (installation, monitoring and/or abandonment)
  • Public utility installation, maintenance, and repair (i.e. AT&T, PG&E, Cable TV)
  • Sanitary sewer installations and/or/connections
  • Storm drain installations and/or connections
  • Water services and water main installations and/or connections


How and where do I apply for an Encroachment Permit?

You may apply in person for an Encroachment Permit at the Development Services Department located at City Hall South, 6617 Third Street, Riverbank, CA  95367.  The Encroachment Permit application and forms may also be downloaded:

  1. For Owners
  2. For Contractors

What is the cost for an Encroachment Permit?


The Encroachment Permit fee is determined at time of permit issuance.